Bonfire night and Hallowe’en can be great fun for families and friends to get together and celebrate.
However it is important for people to take a few precautions to ensure everyone stays safe. Last year we saw a high profile case of fancy dress clothing catching fire, causing serious injury. Various newspapers have run articles in the run up to Hallowe’en.
Since then, all Fire and Rescue Services wrote to the government to ask for a change in regulations to the clothing to help keep children safer. This is now being investigated by government which is great news, however it doesn’t mean clothes this year will be any safer, although some supermarkets have already made changes to what they sell.
Aslo Bonfire Night is also just a few short days away. We would always recommend visiting an organised display as the majority of accidents do happen at privately held parties. Also sparkler can burn up to five times hotter than oil, so make sure younger children are not given these as they can cause serious injury. There is also full guidance from RoSPA.
However it you do hold your own party, make sure you follow the code:
- Only buy fireworks marked BS 7114
- Don’t drink alcohol if setting off fireworks
- Keep fireworks in a closed box
- Follow the instructions on each firework
- Light them at arm’s length, using a taper
- Stand well back
- Never go near a firework that has been lit
- Even if it hasn’t gone off, it could still explode
- Never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them
- Always supervise children around fireworks
- Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves
- Never give sparklers to a child under five
- Keep pets indoors
- Don’t let off fireworks after 11pm
Bonfire Safety Tips
- Warn your neighbours beforehand – so they are aware and can make necessary preparations
- Only burn dry material, do not burn anythign which is wet or damp, this causes more smoke
- Check there are no cables (telephone wires etc) above the bonfire
- Build the bonfire away from sheds, fences and trees
- Don’t use petrol or paraffin to start the fire it can get out of control quickly
Once the bonfire is lit, make sure you:
- Keep a bucket of water or a garden hose nearby – in case of emergencies
- Don’t leave the bonfire unattended
- Keep children and pets away from the bonfire
- Don’t throw any fireworks into the fire
- Don’t burn aerosols, tyres, canisters or anything containing foam or paint – this could produce toxic fumes and some containers may explode, causing injury
- Once the bonfire has died down, spray the embers with water to stop it reigniting